Wednesday 18 August 2010

Cousin Andreia also came to Chicago


My cousin Andreia, whom we had visited in Newark, Delaware, back in June, also came to Chicago. It was a short weekend visit, from 14 to 16 August, but we certainly enjoyed having her around. It was great that she got to know Aunt Denise too.

Andreia has this big bubbly personality, lively, intelligent, curious, fun. She keeps us "oldies" in touch with what goes on in young people's minds.

I have probably said this before, but as an only-child I feel like my cousins are my siblings, and their children my nephews and nieces. Andreia is actually the daughter of my first-cousin Nónó. I'm 10 years her elder, but I feel a strong connection to her. I think my cousin Andreia rocks!

Georgie was very sad when she went back to Delaware. "Why can't she stay with us forever?", asked Georgie. I sometimes wonder the same thing. Why can't the people we love be closer to home? Why is home so spread out around the globe? And then again, if home were closer, would the world feel the same? This place of delight and strife, joy and worry, but mostly an amazing and wonderful place, every time we step foot on it and travel to get closer to our hearts.

(L)

No comments:

Post a Comment